Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Autism/Aspergers Disclosure


I for one am rather partial to partial disclosure.

It is very common for people to ask me about why I do something that is symptomatic of autism. The most common thing people ask about is my sensitive hearing. Because I usually do not know the person asking the question very well, I usually say something along the lines of "I have sensory problems". Which is true, and does a fine job of addressing the behavior that they were questioning.  What I find is good about this type of disclosure, is that people don't seem to think much of it, which is nice.

As for people, such as teachers, who I work with regularly, it depends on how much I feel my autism will affect my participation in whatever they are teaching. 

I still have a lot of trouble just saying “I have Aspergers” mainly because it is difficult to predict how different people will react.  Most people do slightly change how they treat me once they know that I have Aspergers.  Which is not necessarily bad, but you know what people like me think about anything changing.

For anyone interested, I just started a Twitter account https://twitter.com/Elainaism

No comments:

Post a Comment