Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Physical Attributes of Autism

Many people are aware that people with autism have difficulties with communication and socialization.  However, many people on the spectrum also live with a whole smorgasbord of more physical problems that are often associated with autism.

I would like to write about some of these symptoms that affect me.

Low Muscle Tone
Starting when I was a baby, I learned how to walk late due to loose hips.  Now I have trouble with relaxing because my body tends to be tense in order to compensate for weaker core muscles.

Poor Circulation
I have mild Raynaud's which means that sometimes my fingers and less often my toes loose circulation and turn white when they get just slightly cold you can read more about that here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon
I also usually have trouble staying warm even on warm days and end up wearing a coat and turning on a heater when the rest of my family are wearing t-shirts.

Leaky Gut Syndrome (yes I know it sounds gross)
When I was a little kid I lived for a long time with rash on my legs that turned out to be caused by Leaky Gut Syndrome.  Luckily, after trying eliminating foods and adding supplements with limited success, I was taken to a homoeopathist and, though I still have some gut/nutrition absorption problems, I have be pretty much free form that problem ever since.

MTHFR Gene Defect
This is something I was tested for and found out that I have very recently.  It's not really a system, but it may possibly be a contributing factor to my neurological problems.  You can read more about this fascinating MTHFR thing here http://www.methyl-life.com/mthfr-and-methylation.html        

last but not least, here is a article about this topic.  It also list some other sort of categories of characteristics that I did not get around to writing about.
http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Physical_Characteristics_of_Autism

Please feel free to ask questions and thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment